Search This Blog

Sunday, January 14, 2007

The "Bush" (or I mean AEI) plan

Here is what President Bush said on 60 Mintues tonight in trying to sell his too -little-too-late plan to the American people tonight:

"I began to think, well, if failure is not an option and we've got to succeed, how best to do so? And that's how I came up with the plan I did...."

No, Mr. President, you "came up with", and REALLY needed all that extra time to 'decide' to use the plan that the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) came up with a week or two earlier, (2) and that had been in the works for quite some time.

But thanks for at least pretending to listen. ... Makes me wonder if you had to push the announcement to 2007 'cause you needed to wait for AEI's approval. Way to lead!

I know I'm not the only one to point this out. Heck, I recall hearing this on NPR in December that Bush was likely just going to use the AEI study (or 95% of it) and ignore all else - that's not bias - that's just what his administration does and has done in the past.

How does this relate to economics? Well, rational minds can have differing opinions, but putting ourselves deeper into a war where we are damned if we do and damned if we don't has huge macroeconomic implication in terms of our foreign policy/trade relations, our status amongst our allies, our federal budget, our consumer confidence, etc....

No comments: